Wednesday, November 23, 2005

It's all good

All was right with the world today. In the eyes of my dogs, anyway.

Let's see. Their fortune began inconspicuously enough. Just as it always does.

They woke from their toasty bed -- ahem, that would be my bed -- sometime well after sunrise. They went outside shortly thereafter. Did their business, came back inside and returned to warm beds -- this time their own resting places -- to nap for a couple additional hours.

Their routine was altered slightly when they sensed something fortuitous might be afoot. The event that caught their attention and ignited their hopes? I put on my jacket.

Yep, an act as simple as that gets their canine imaginations racing with hope -- hope that if they look disappointed enough upon my imminent departure that I might allow them to join me for my trip.

Today they could've saved the long faces and hopeful tail wags. Today I planned to take them with me.

It was Bank Day.

Make that BANK DAY!!!

The boyz made their semi-regular ride to the bank. Unlike last time, however, today they were blessed with treats at the drive-thru. Loved 'em, as usual. I'm not sure why. It can't be the taste. They inhale them so quickly I'm sure the biscuits bypass their tastebuds altogether.

That would've been enough to constitute a good day for them. But it got better. It turned out, to their surprise, that today was also Run Day. For them, too.

I think they've become accustomed to not running with me. They don't run at all with me throughout the summer. It's too hot then for Buster's cooling system. Can't handle anything resembling heat.

So when they see me getting ready to go for a run -- and they unfailingly can tell when I'm going for a run as opposed to doing anything else outside -- they put on their same hopeful routine.

They block my exit in hope I might open the door adjacent to the door outside. That's the door behind which great things reside. Things like food, treats and leashes.

When I opened that door today, well, it was on. It was like they suddenly bounced around eagerly, much like popcorn popping. They wouldn't have to race to the windows to watch me run down the driveway. They wouldn't have to wait at those windows for me to return. Not today. Today they were going with me.

About a half-hour and four-plus miles later, they were spent. As usual. But I'm not sure that it's the actual running that tires them so. I think it's as much the energy they expend in their excitement prior to the run and whenever we encounter another person on the trail. Or a dog. Or a squirrel. Or a deer. Or a fox. Or a pheasant. Or a....

So what awaited these dogs after their runs? The requisite rehydration first. Then, it's more unbridled bliss.

Naptime. Again.

Their naps were abbreviated this time. I opened the Door Of Good Things again. That rouses them from even the soundest of slumbers. Can't sneak anything past their senses. I'm not sure which one I triggered this time -- sound or smell -- but when I opened that door this evening, there they were. Seated behind me. Tails awagging.

Food time.

What a day. They hit the trifecta. Did three of the favorite things. Rode, ran and ate.

Oh, and they napped. At least three times. Did it again after eating.

Does life get any better than this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



All original posts and photos contained within this blog are copyrighted (© RTG 2005-2007)