Thursday, December 01, 2005

Harbinger?

I don't believe in things like crystal balls, horoscopes, palm reading or tarot cards.

I do believe in fortune cookies. I believe I like them very much. The often nonsensical tidbits of portending information offered inside them? Not so much.

Still, I read every one I encounter. Unlike some people, however, I don't read them just to add the words "...in bed" to the end of every fortune. I'm just a voracious reader of things that don't require a commitment of more than five minutes to read.

So I'm blowing through a stack of fortune cookies recently and discarding the enclosed fortunes one after another. I'm not impressed with what these cookies say is impending for me. I'm similarly unimpressed by the "Learn Chinese" tutorial on the backside of the fortunes. I mean, when am I ever going to need to know how to say "sisterhood" in another language? At least the supposedly omniscient writers of the fortunes are making good use of both sides of their half-inch-by-two-inch slivers of crisp, white, cookie crumb-crusted paper.

Then I open my last fortune. Forebodingly, it reads: "Your luck is going to change."
Hmmm. I know there's nothing factual about this statement, other than that change is constant in all things in life. But it sounds ominous enough to me.

Just what does that mean? Is my luck going to become better? Should I race out and buy lottery tickets, enlisting my allegedly "lucky" numbers alsonlisted on the back of the fortune? Or is my luck, whatever I might have, going suddenly going south, and not just for the winter?

It gave me too much to ponder. What if I think I'm a rather lucky guy, all things considered, and I don't want my luck to change? What about that? Should I brace myself for an onslaught of incredible misfortune?

It was simply too much for me to digest mentally. A single simple declarative sentence that's delivered to me as a cuisine accessory shouldn't haven been so thought-provokingly sidetracking. But it was just that for several minutes, even though I don't believe in such things.

And I have yet to begin to consider the possibilities of "Your luck is going to change...in bed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



All original posts and photos contained within this blog are copyrighted (© RTG 2005-2007)