Monday, December 05, 2005

Admiration or concern?

Check out the weather we're enduring here in Minnesota. Just take a gander at the "Hometown Weather" section in my sidebar. It's just a little cold.

As I type, it says that the forecast high for today is a not-so-balmy 9 degrees. The low is 0. It says the current temp is 7 degrees Fahrenheit, or -14 Celsius for you metric fiends. Other outlets indicate 7 degrees is optimistic; it's actually a few degrees colder than that in our neck of the woods.

That qualifies as cold to me. Even in December.

Yet Greatest Girlfriend Ever runs in these conditions. Everyday. Every day.

I don't know whether to admire her for that -- I haven't run in conditions that cold since last January and I'm not sure I'll bring myself to run in single-digit temps again -- or have concern for her sanity.

This is a woman routinely who wears five layers around the house if the thermostat dips below 70 degrees. Her range of tolerable temperatures goes from 65 degrees to 85 degrees. Heck, she shivers at the mere mention of Dairy Queen.

Yet she bundles up every morning and plods her way through the snow and bone-chilling conditions to log her daily seven-mile run. I don't know how she does it. I'm much better adjusted to cold weather than she'll ever be, but I'm a winter-running wuss. She makes me feel even wimpier.

Still, I applaud her. I applaud her consistency. Her determination. Her love of running. Her desire to maintain her fitness.

I applaud her compulsive nature when it comes to running. At least I think I do. It seems healthy enough. And it's inspiring to me. Plus, it's probably the one area in which her compulsion dwarfs my various compulsions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



All original posts and photos contained within this blog are copyrighted (© RTG 2005-2007)