Monday, January 30, 2006

Cookie nookie

I'll never be a very domestic guy. Cooking, cleaning, decorating just aren't among strengths. Or interests.

But when Greatest Girlfriend Ever suggests we bake cookies -- literally, no euphemism suggested -- well, I don't have to be asked twice. The reward is too great. Our frosted cookies, besides being capable of inducing a diabetic coma, are quite simply irresistible.

The theme this time was Valentine's Day. I'll admit, I have an issue with baking cookies under the guise of a day the cookies won't last long enough to see. But I went with it anyway.

My role was rather limited. GGE put together the dough and had it rolled out before my arrival at her house. She even had the frosting prepared. All that was left to do was to cut out the cookies, then bake and decorate 'em. Even a domestic idiot like me can do that.

GGE is a relentlessly efficient person. Although I'm often secretly envious of her trait, it's scary sometimes. It pervades nearly everything she does. Cookies are no different.

She already had used heart-shaped cookie cutters to produce the first batch of cookies before I joined to assist her. Her effort was, of course, impressive in assembly line-like fashion.

But being a rules guy, I had to institute a rule. Actually, I had to re-inform GGE of my rule. No cookie cutters. We had to freehand our cutouts. It's my rule. I think doing so fosters a certain degree of creativity and further distinguishes our cookies from any you could buy at the local bakery. Each cookie should be a unique production, a frosted work of art.

GGE at first resisted my rule, er, suggestion. It flew in the face of her normal efficiency. Gradually, however, as she watched me use a knife to carve out hearts and other shapes that were as clearly defined as any that could be done with a pre-fab cookie cutter, she came around to my idea. She became a creative cookie-cutting fiend just as we ran out of dough.

The decorating of our products was predictably time consuming. But it was time well spent, despite the fact that I know we spent far more time creating our cookies than we will spend enjoying their delight. It was an enjoyably relaxing way to spend a Sunday night in late January. And I can't imagine a better person with whom to spend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



All original posts and photos contained within this blog are copyrighted (© RTG 2005-2007)