Friday, January 27, 2006

Shorts story

It didn't take long this year before I was able to achieve a personal running first. Unfortunately, this one has nothing to do with achievement.

For the first time in my running career, I ran outdoors in Minnesota in January while wearing shorts. Twice.

I can't even describe how strange it felt. I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight, with the shade of my legs practically matching the remaining remnants of snow.

But how could I resist. Daytime temps approaching 50 degrees. Steady blasts of sunshine. Little wind, if any.

So I eschewed the running tights yesterday and today. Heck, I didn't even wear socks for my seven-mile run today. It was wonderful. Gleeful might be a better word. Almost made me feel like a kid sneaking a cookie out of the cookie jar.

It won't last, I know. But this brief dalliance with warm weather provided a much-needed respite from the frigid horrors of winter. Even though I felt some discomfort in the front of my right hip when I ran tonight, I couldn't resist the opportunity. I've lived here long enough to know I might never get it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



All original posts and photos contained within this blog are copyrighted (© RTG 2005-2007)