Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Minor milestones

Ran for the third straight day today. Felt better physically than I have in weeks. The discomfort I had been experiencing on the right side of my abdomen/front of my right hip/right side of my lower back chose not to accompany me for my run.

It was just another of my short runs. Four miles. Nothing special.

But upon completion of my run, I had logged 116 miles so far this year. That's more than I have ever put in this early in a year. Small achievement.

I had another small achievement that resonated more with me. I improved my time for the four miles for the third consecutive day. That's not to be confused with a PR. No way. Not even close. But it shows my running economy is slowly improving.

I also finished my final mile faster than I had in each of the previous two runs. I became a little quicker for that final mile each run this week. I finished my run today with an 8:23 last mile. That's still a minute off from where I should be come peak marathon-training time, but it's a good sign. Only once this year have I run that mile faster -- 8:15 on January 31 -- and that might have been a fluke. I had no similar times anywhere near it. With this one, 8:23 represents a nine-second improvement from 8:34 on Monday and 8:32 on Tuesday. That's the way I want to improve my speed. Gradually. Consistently.

Now I'll take a day off and see if I can respond similarly on my next run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



All original posts and photos contained within this blog are copyrighted (© RTG 2005-2007)