Thursday, February 16, 2006

When?

Tell me when this cycle training is going to get easier. Huh? When?

After successfully fending off feelings of workout-evading guilt for several hours this evening, I caved. Finally. Just after 11 p.m.

I made my way to the basement, exchanged my warm laze-about-the-house clothes for biking apparel and hopped on my bike. Immediately, I noticed the temperature of my weightroom. How could I not? It was 51 degrees down there and I was wearing only cycling shorts and a short-sleeved jersey.

The discomfort caused by the chill didn't last long. It was quickly replaced by the kind of discomfort it seems only an intense workout on a trainer can provide.

When I finished, I was nauseated. I could barely stand. I wasn't sure if I would pass out, vomit or both. The journey up those 13 steps to my home's main living level was a struggle. I'm not sure why I felt so horrible. I usually only feel like that after runs of 17-plus miles. This was only a half-hour workout. Guess that means I'm finally pushing myself again.

I mixed up my cycling routine a bit for this workout. I still played with my gears a bit and watched the mph reading on my computer. But I attempted to periodically shift to easier gears with the intent of working on improving my cadence. I did this futilely.

I can't seem to allow myself to pedal furiously with virtually no resistence. It felt like I was going at a 25-mph clip, yet my computer revealed that I was only going 14 mph. That's not for me. I'm more of a big-gear masher, à la Jan Ullrich. It seems pointless to pedal quickly, in an easy gear, only to manage 15 mph when I could shift to a tougher gear and, with the less perceived effort, crank at 20 mph. It just makes more sense to me. And it feels a lot smoother.

Someday, perhaps, I'll master the easier gear/higher cadence thing. Probably about the same time I'll learn to enjoy my trainer workouts.

That likely won't happen anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



All original posts and photos contained within this blog are copyrighted (© RTG 2005-2007)